Chiropractic care is a popular form of natural healing for any type of musculoskeletal pain – including lumbar herniated disc pain relief. Chiropractic techniques can gently release pressure from the spinal discs and help to relax tight muscles.
But is chiropractic care safe for herniated discs ? Below we explore the evidence to help you decide if it is the best option for you.
What is a Herniated Disc?
A herniated disc is an injury to one of the discs located in between your vertebrae. Herniated discs can occur due to a single traumatic event or be caused by degenerative disc disease.
The most common symptom of a herniated disc is pain located in the low back region and radiating down the leg. In severe cases, it can lead to nerve and muscle dysfunction and impair movement.
Is Chiropractic Care Safe?
The short answer is yes. Chiropractic care is a safe and effective approach to treating herniated discs.
The technique is designed to alleviate pressure from the spinal discs, reduce pain, and restore normal movement. Chiropractic care can also be beneficial for treating the underlying conditions that caused the herniated disc in the first place.
Pros of Chiropractic Care for Herniated Discs
- Non-invasive: Chiropractic care is a non-invasive form of treatment and does not require the use of pain medications or surgery.
- Relieves pain: Chiropractic care has been shown to reduce pain levels in people who suffer from herniated discs.
- Improves movement: The techniques used in chiropractic care can help to restore normal movement in the back and relieve restrictions.
- Treats underlying causes: Chiropractic care can help to address any underlying conditions that may be causing or contributing to the herniated disc.
Cons of Chiropractic Care for Herniated Discs
- Can be uncomfortable: While chiropractic care is designed to reduce pain, the techniques used in treatment can be uncomfortable for some people.
- Costly: Chiropractic care can be more expensive than traditional treatments such as pain medications or surgery.
- Time consuming: Depending on the severity of the herniated disc, multiple visits may be required to achieve full pain relief.
Chiropractic care is a safe and effective form of treatment for people suffering from herniated discs. It can help reduce pain and restore normal movement without the use of pain medications or surgery.
However, it can be costly and time consuming, so it is important to speak with your healthcare provider to determine if it is the best option for you.